Project Name: Empangeni Solid Waste Site (G:M:B+) – Cell 2
Client: Uthungulu District Municipality, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Project Description: Contract comprised the design, quality assurance and contract administration of the new cell (Cell 2) at the Empangeni Solid Waste Site. The site is situated approximately 20 km from Richards Bay and 2 km from Empangeni, adjacent to the R34-highway linking these two towns. Cell 2 makes provision for approximately 700,000m³ airspace.
The layer works for cell 2 comprised of the following (from top to bottom):
300mm thick leachate collection layer of 38mm stone
- 200mm thick sand protection layer on top of the floor lining and A10 non-woven geotextile as protection for the slope linings
- 1,5mm smooth HDPE geomembrane (47 500m²) on the floor and 1,5mm mono-textured HDPE geomembrane (16 000m²) on the 1:3 slopes
- 4 x 150mm thick clay layers (local clay) compacted to 95% Std Proctor
- A5 separation non-woven geotextile
- 150mm thick leakage detection layer from clean imported sand
- 1 x 150mm thick clay layers (local clay) compacted to 95% Std Proctor
- Rip and Re-compact 150mm thick in-situ clay to same standard as above clay layers
The leachate collection layer is drained by gravity towards a pump sump from where it is pumped into Cell 1’s leachate collection manhole. From this sump it is pumped into a sewage pump sump.
The sand leakage detection layer underneath the layerworks is connected to a leakage detection sump which is linked to a detection monitoring pipe close to the pump sump for easy monitoring. Cell 1 and Cell 2 each have its own leakage detection monitoring sump.
Location: South 28 46 02 79 East 31 55 01 45
Contract Data (Construction)
Contractor: Waltell Civils (Civil Works); Engineered Linings (Supply and Install of Geosynthetic material)
Commencement date: 28 August 2008
Completion date: November 2009